May Wrap Up

Abruzzo, Italy

You might remember that at the start of the month I posted about my library TBR for May. I'm pleased to say I got through all of my library books and found some real treasures. I didn't read any book that I rated below a 3 this month and had quite a few 5s, not bad! Not all of these are library reads but here we go...

Widdershins - Helen Steadman

3/5


I've been really into reading women-centred novels lately and a few have touched on witchcraft. Widdershins is a historical novel told from a dual male/female perspective, showing both sides of the witch-hunt. A very descriptive read and one that was quite horrifying too. Look out for my full review!

Kindred Spirits - Rainbow Rowell

3/5


Kindred Spirits was released for World Book Day way back in 2015. Short and sweet, Rainbow Rowell lives up to her fantastic reputation once more. I know exactly what to expect when I open one of her books and it never lets me down. This one is about a queue. Yeah.

The Hawkweed Legacy - Irena Brignull

3/5


The second book in The Hawkweed Prophecy series, The Hawkweed Legacy continues the story of two young girls and continues the witchcraft trend on my book pile. Poppy and Ember have switched lives and the way the prophecy plays out was not how I was expecting at all, but it worked. I was looking for something more from this one but I'm still excited to continue on in the series. Look out for my full review.

One Of Us Is Lying - Karen M McManus

3/5


This one is about a murder. Yep. But, it's not all dark. Lighthearted teenage drama meets a murder mystery to create One Of Us Is Lying. I would recommend this one for fans of Riverdale! Look out for my full review in June.

Vanishing Girls - Lauren Oliver

3/5


Another month, another Lauren Oliver novel. She has such a talent for capturing young voices and Vanishing Girls is about two sisters and the trauma that ensues after a horrendous incident. I felt like the twist was a bit of a cheat but I enjoyed it all the same.

Our Endless Numbered Days - Claire Fuller

3/5


After seeing this floating around for ages, I took it out from the library. It's about a survivalist father who steals his young daughter and takes her out to live in the woods. Told from the growing girl's perspective, this was such a unique read. The writing was powerful and the twist was excellent. However, I don't think it's one that will stay in my memory forever and I'm not sure why.

When Dimple Met Rishi - Sandhya Menon

4/5


You've probably seen this book cover everywhere! When Dimple Met  Rishi is doing incredibly well right now and for good reason. Check out my full review here.

Not Working - Lisa Owens

4/5


Lisa Owens please write more books. Please supply me with a new book every week. Not Working has one of the best voices I've read in ages. Claire is an observer and when she quits her job to find her purpose, she sees a new side to life. This book made me both laugh and bury myself in my own anxieties. I have a full review on the way.

The Names They Gave Us - Emery Lord

4/5


Faith is hardly ever discussed in YA but Emery Lord has brought it into the mix very successfully in The Names They Gave Us. Lucy is a devout Christian and when her mum is diagnosed with cancer, she doesn't know why it's happening. When she meets new people at a new camp, her eyes are opened. I loved reading about faith in this way and how it interacted with topics like relationships and family. My full review is on the way.

Attachments - Rainbow Rowell

5/5


My second Rainbow Rowell read of the month did not disappoint. Attachments is about two women who email each other while at work and a man who has to intercept the emails. He ends up falling in love with one of the women (oh no) (actually very cute). The book was told mostly in email form which sounds crazy but it was amazing. The characters were so vivid and I could read about them over and over again.

The Girl's Guide To Summer - Sarah Mlynowski 

5/5


I am so glad I  got to read The Girl's Guide To Summer (look out for my full review in June). It's about two girls who go travelling around Europe, meeting new people and bumping into the same people and trying to balance the trip of a lifetime with life decisions. It's the perfect summer read and it really set me up for my own trip around Europe this summer.

Into The Water - Paula Hawkins

5/5


The new Paula Hawkins novel is, dare I say it, perhaps better than The Girl On The Train. Into The Water reminded me of J K Rowling's The Casual Vacancy. It had that town-y vibe, with lots of perspectives and strange characters. Also women centred, it was a twisting mystery that I couldn't predict. 

You Will Know Me - Megan Abbott

5/5


Confession: I've actually read this book twice. Another confession: it's just as amazing the second time around. Devon is a gymnast on the verge of making it to the Olympics. Told from her mum Katie's perspective, everything goes dark when a young man everyone likes dies in a hit and run. The bubbly world of gymnastics turns sinister and once again Megan Abbott crafts tension like a pro.

The Hate U Give - Angie Thomas

5/5


It took me so long to get around to getting a copy of The Hate U Give. Everyone's raving about it for a reason. This Black Lives Matter novel is about a girl named Starr, who sees her a white police officer shoot her unarmed friend Khalil. She gets stuck between her life at private school and the area she calls home, where colour makes a lot of difference. I'll never forget Starr's dad and his fiery strength, or the way Starr's frustration made me frustrated. This is really a book that brings you along. You feel everything. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

copyright © . all rights reserved. designed by Color and Code

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com