Joining In With The Book Blogging Community


Photo Credit: Wilfred Iven

Step one: follow 13 book bloggers. Step two: retweet 7 tweets a day. Step three: post one ever 362 minutes. BOOM. Followers and friends.

(Joke).

There's a myth that making friends online is easy, after all it isn't the real world. That couldn't be further from the truth.

First off, this is by no means a "how to" guide. Making friends with other book bloggers is still something I'm learning about every day and I've been at this for over a year now. So, I guess if there's anything you should take away from this post, it's that you'll always be discovering new ways to connect with others readers (and writers) and that this isn't a quick process. It's something you build over time.

In my own experiences, I've found that joining Facebook group Book Connectors and joining in with #SundayYAchat and #UKYAChat has helped me to reach out to readers with similar interests to me. These social spaces are all about interaction and I wouldn't have half as many people reading my blog posts or chatting with me online, if I didn't also interact with their posts and discussions. But, as I mentioned, I'm by no means an expert on this (is anyone?) so I've asked for some help from fellow bloggers and authors. Here is their advice...

Cora Linn (@Corazzz) aka Tea Party Princess

Follow people and interact, and they'll do the same back. Join in with chats like #SundayYA and people will see you there every week and start chatting, and then they start chatting more outside of chats. Join in with memes like Top Ten Tuesday and Book Beginnings - you get regular content and by linking up you get more views and comments, and by checking out other links you get to find more awesome blogs and bloggers. Read and comment on other blogs - a community is about give and take.


Check out this Twitter thread for more of Cora's advice.


Lia (@Lost_In_A_Story) aka Lost In A Story

Getting friends online is a process and it starts with commenting on someone's posts. I think commenting is always a good thing, but sometimes it leads to conversations and if you comment a lot over a longer period of time, it might grow into a friendship. Follow people you like on multiple medias, like Instagram, Twitter and Goodreads. Take every opportunity to talk to people and if you want to meet new people, take part in projects, chats and readathons.

Making friends is hard so don't be sad that you haven't met your new BFF yet. The most important thing is that you shouldn't be afraid to talk to people - just do it.


Bettina Geary (@teens2006) aka TripFiction


Always remember the mantra: it's SOCIAL media, so keep being social!

Harriet Springbett, author of Tree Magic (@HarriSpringbett)

Comment on books that you love or are intrigued by. If you read more than one book a week, that's 52 books you can discuss in a year. 

Alli Sinclair, author of Under The Spanish Stars &more. (@allisinclair)

Using a series is a great way to expand social connections. When authors comment, their readers come over to my blog and we interact and they often end up following my blog and my readership grows. As long as you're genuine, show an interest in others and don't use blogging as a sales pitch then you can't go wrong.

Jennifer Mason (@jennymarston_xo) aka Jenny In Neverland

Don't be scared to read out if you are new. Talk to people and ask for help if you need it. Get involved in Facebook groups like Book Connectors and follow other bloggers on Twitter etc.

Thanks to everyone who helped me create this post!

I want to add one more piece of advice that I think, although obvious, needs to be repeated. While it can be tempting to create a 'new you' online, the best thing to do is be yourself. Not only will that lead you to the people who you will have the most in common with, but you'll enjoy it more than anything. The discussion doesn't end here, make sure you tweet your top tips!

Love, Jess

Make friends with me on Twitter @JessikahHope

No comments:

Post a Comment

copyright © . all rights reserved. designed by Color and Code

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com