BLOG TOUR: The Good Daughter - Karin Slaughter


The Good Daughter - Karin Slaughter
Published by HarperCollins on 13th July 2017.
My rating: 5/5
Book depository purchase link.

As a new reader of Karin Slaughter, I had no idea of what to expect when I picked up The Good Daughter. From the cover, I imagined it would be a dramatic thriller with a selfish middle aged woman taking the lead, made to feel paranoid and jealous until all is revealed that she has been done a huge wrong. From the very first page I realised I was in for something different. The Good Daughter isn't a trashy thriller, written for the sake of a trend, but a well-written criminal story that could easily become a classic.

It starts when two girls are marched into the woods at gunpoint. Twenty-eight years later, their whole worlds have changed. Charlie has become a lawyer, like her father. When she's the first witness at another tragedy, she's wrapped up in the one thing that has the power to bring the two girls back to that horrendous day.

With snippets that could come straight from To Kill A Mockingbird and the modern day dramatic edge of every good BBC mini-series, The Good Daughter is one of the most suspenseful reads I've come across in ages. When the second tragedy occurred, I couldn't figure out how the two linked and how the second would unravel, especially as The Good Daughter edged on with seemingly no resolution. For the final hundred pages, I couldn't figure out how the story could be resolved. It's not often that I can say that I couldn't guess it for the life of me, but this book was written so intelligently that I felt completely helpless to the twist. 

That's part of what makes The Good Daughter a stand-out read. I'm tired of picking up thrillers and finding repetitive tropes and overdone stereotypical characters. Yet, Charlie and Sam are intriguing from the offset. They're upfront, which is refreshing, and while they had their own personalities, their sisterly relationship was perfectly captured. Not everything is sunshine and daisies, but likewise not everything is stabs in the back.

I may not have gone into The Good Daughter as the biggest Karin Slaughter fan, but I am now. Let me know what you think of this one.

Love, Jess

Chat about The Good Daughter with me on Twitter @JessikahHope

Thank you to HarperCollins for the ARC and invitation to the blog tour.

1 comment:

  1. I have this bookonmy tbr and your review make it more appealing :) http://latteandabook.com

    ReplyDelete

copyright © . all rights reserved. designed by Color and Code

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com